Participant Edge

We’re pleased to assist you via phone call. For assistance, please call 1-800-251-5013.


How do I access my personal benefits data?

In order to access the secure member benefits site with your personal benefits data you must register for an account on this website.

I can’t remember my username. How can I find this?

Your username is the email address you registered with.

I can’t remember my password.

You will need to reregister by clicking here.

I can’t remember my security question/answer. What should I do now?

Please email oe3helpdesk@oe3.org with your full name, DOB and address. We will verify your account information and delete your account so that you can re-register with a new password and security question.

I’m having trouble activating my account.

Please email oe3helpdesk@oe3.org with your full name, DOB and address. We will verify your account information and, if your account has not been activated, manually do so.

I’m getting an error message telling me my SSN is already in use. What should I do?

This means that you, or someone else with access to your SSN, has already created an account for you. Please email oe3helpdesk@oe3.org with your full name, DOB and address if you are unsure how to log in and we will look you up in the system.

I don’t see any emails from OE3 about activating my account or resetting my password. Why aren’t I receiving emails?

Please add oe3helpdesk@oe3.org to your contact list, and check your spam or junk mail folder to see if the emails went there.

I’m trying to access a deceased spouse/partner’s account, can you help?

Please call your local trust funds office to verify your information with them before contacting us.




How do I become a participant in the plan?

You become a Participant in this Plan on the January 1 or July 1 after you work for a contributing employer for at least 500 hours during a twelve-consecutive calendar month period in a job category covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between your employer and Local Union No. 3 of the International Union of Operating Engineers (or other agreement pursuant to the Trust Agreement or Rules and Regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees).

How does working time count?

The amount of time you work in a job covered by the Plan counts in several important ways. It determines whether you are eligible for a pension and how much your pension will be. For these purposes, the time you work as a Participant of the Plan is measured in two ways-in years of Credited Service and in Pension Credits. After you become a Participant in the Plan, you receive both Credited Service and Pension Credit during the time your employer contributes to the Plan with respect to your work. This period of time is referred to as "after your contribution date" and the credit earned is called Credited Future Service or Contributory Credit. You may also receive Credited Service and Pension Credit for work performed before your contribution date. This Credited Service earned is called Credited Past Service.

What is Past and Future Service?

Past Service is a type of Credited Service that you receive when you performed work before your contribution date. Future Service is a type of Credited Service that you receive when you performed work after your contribution date.

Can I lose my service and credits?

You cannot lose your Credited Service or Pension Credits if you are vested. However, you may lose them if you are not vested and you do not work a required number of hours in a covered job for a certain number of years, thus incurring a Break in Service. A Break in Service (temporary or permanent) is determined by the Break in Service rule in effect at the time your Break occurs.

How do I earn Credited Service?

Credited Service is based on hours worked and contributions from your employer as required by the collective bargaining agreement. You need at least 1000 hours reported by your employer, per calendar year, for a full Year of Credited Service. Fractional credit may be earned if you work at least 350 hours but less than 1000 hours. Credit is currently granted as follows: 1000 or more hours 1 year of Credited Service 750 to 999 hours 3/4 500 to 749 hours 1/2 350 to 499 hours 1/4 Less than 350 hours no credit

If I work more than 1000 hours in a year, can I earn more than one year of Credited Service?

No, one credit in a calendar year is the most you can earn. However, if you have more than 1000 hours, the value of your credit increases.

How is the value of my credit determined?

The current formula used to determine the value of Credited Service is: HOURS REPORTED x CONTRIBUTION RATE x BENEFIT FACTOR % = BENEFIT

When am I Vested?

Effective January 1, 1998, the Plan adopted a five-year vesting schedule. To be eligible for five year vesting, a participant must have at least five pension credits without a Permanent Break-in-Service and he must work for a Contributing Employer at least one hour on or after January 1, 1997. For the period December 1, 1976 through December 31, 1997, the requirement for vesting was ten years of Credited Service, without a Permanent Break-in-Service. Different rules were in place prior to December 1976. Note: If you do not have at least one Hour of Service in Covered Employment after December 31, 1997, the 10-year requirement for the period between December 1, 1976 and January 1, 1998, will apply. A non-vested participant will lose participation if he or she fails to work the minimum required number of hours in a covered job for a certain consecutive number of years, thus incurring Breaks in Service. A Break in Service (temporary or permanent) is determined by the Break in Service rule in effect at the time your Break occurs. See Becoming Vested in About the Funds for more information.

What does Vested mean?

Generally, vested means you have earned the right to a monthly pension benefit when you are eligible to retire.

If I am not Vested, can I lose Pension Credits?

Yes, if you are not vested and you incur a Permanent-Break in-Service, you will lose the pension credits you had earned.

What are the requirements for the Rule of 85 Pension?

The Rule of 85 Pension provides for a full pension with no reduction for your age. You are eligible to receive a Rule of 85 Pension, if you meet all the following requirements: * you are at least age 55; and * your age plus your years of Credited Service (Pension Credits) equals at least 85; and * you have at least 2000 hours paid into Local #3's Pension Fund in the 72 month period; immediately preceding your Pension Effective Date; and * you have at least 350 hours paid into Local #3's Pension Fund by a Contributing Employer in one of the two Plan Years immediately preceding the Pension Effective date or during the year of the effective date. This requirement may also be satisfied if: you have worked at least 350 hours for which contributions are required to be made to a Pro-Rata Plan; or if you are unemployed, you were registered under the Job Placement regulations and were available for covered employment in Local #3's jurisdiction during such period, and * you have not previously received an Early Retirement Pension; and * you have filed a pension application in a timely manner. Note: A maximum of ten credits may be related credits earned under a Pro-Rata Plan (Local 12, 302, etc.). Related credits earned in a reciprocal Local will be calculated under Local #3's pension rules. Also, years of Credited Service earned as a result of Continuous Non-Covered Employment will be excluded.

When would I incur a Permanent Break-In-Service?

In general, you would incur a Permanent-Break in-Service when you fail to earn any Credited Service for a period of five consecutive years. There are certain exceptions, grace periods, such as limited extensions for disability. If you are out of work for any extended period of time, you should check with the Trust Fund Office to determine the effect on your pension benefits.

If I do incur a Permanent Break-In-Service, can I ever get the lost credits back?

Effective January 1, 2000, you can recapture credits lost because of one or more Permanent Breaks-in-Service. If beginning with the year 2000, you return to work in Covered Employment and earn 5 additional Years of Credit Service without a Permanent Break-in-Service your previously cancelled years of credit and benefit accrual will be reinstated. This rule does not apply to retirees whose original retirement date occurred prior to January 2000.